If you are a scuba diver, then Thailand would be the perfect place for you to travel around.
Even if you are not, Thailand offers beautiful beaches and islands, a lot of ancient temples and buildings that will literally take your breath.
The best way to examine Thailand’s most prominent places is by hiring a boat. It will take you some of the most beautiful places in Thailand that have a high chance of leaving you with a jaw-dropping expression on your face.
And to ensure that, we’ve listed the best places and attractions you can visit during your stay in Thailand. Pack up your backpack, and keep reading.
What kind of travel do you do
What are you looking for
- Local experience
Show only Phillip's favorite things:
Thailand's Ayutthaya Temples and River Cruise from Bangkok
In Thailand, you can visit various Temples that show the countries rich history. The journey to the temples will take you to the ancient Capital of Sian. You can take a boat ride along the Chao Phraya River and view all the temples and the historic sites along the river bank. While visiting the temples you must check out the King Prasart Thong Shrine, it was built in honor of King Prasart who first built this magnificent temple.
- Take a boat ride and explore ancient sites and temples.
- View the King Prasart Thong Shrine.
- Visit the temple of the reclining Buddha (Wat Lokayasutharam).
- End the day of by having lunch at the Chao Phraya River.
Bangkok Night Bike Tour
Thailand can be a very hot place all year round, so it is advisable to take this bike tour in the evening to avoid dehydration. There are multiple bike tours for you to choose from each with its own routes and knowledgeable guides that will make the tour worthwhile. Most of the routes have been carefully selected so it is safe and offers you the best places to explore and see the city in a different light.
- Tour the city by bike with a knowledgeable guide.
- Explore the strange and tasty cuisines on offer at the markets.
- Ride through hidden paths and experience the city at night.
- Visit the flower market and catch a ferry to Wat Arun.
While the city can be overwhelming and the traffic ridiculous you can find solace in this quaint little market place. It was founded in 2010 and is considered a mainstream art market. There are weekly shows held which has many local and international performers on offer. This space is also used to showcase and exhibit local artist and different performing arts. It is unlike the other marketsg and it is always buzzing at night creating a lovely atmosphere.
- Visit the market at night time and listen to local bands.
- Find great artworks from local artist and enjoy different performances.
- Enjoy the market's eateries as there are bound to be something delectable.
Patong Boxing Stadium
Thailand is the capital of Muay Thai fighting in the world. If you don’t want to learn or step into the ring I suggest you visit Pantong Boxing Stadium. At the Patong you will find world-class Muay Thai fighters from all over the globe. At the facility, you will only find professional fighters. The Boxing Stadium has events every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday from 21:00 – 23:00.
- Get to see world champions of the Muay Thai world fight it out.
- Listen to the musicians play and take in the crowds’ excitement at fight night.
- There is a bar in the stadium and everyone gets a free T-shirt.
Art in Paradise, Chiang Mai 3D Art Museum
This is one of the coolest places to visit on the list and the most fun. The Chiang Mai Museum is regarded as the largest interactive art museum in the world. At this museum, you can manipulate photos to make it seem real. It is an activity for the whole family and you should bring a camera to capture all the illusion art. The way illusion artworks, work is very simple, it is a sensory perception that tricks the mind into viewing a distorted or altered image. The end result is a 3d masterpiece which you can be a part of.
- Enjoy a day out with family members while snapping pics.
- Explore the 3d interactive images on show at the museum.
- You can have a nice meal at the restaurant in the museum.
This is arguably one of the best shows ever conceived in Thailand. The Kaan show has everything from world-class technology and live stage performances that will keep you on the front edge of your seat. The show is 60 min long and is inspired by Thai literature. The show was developed over a 3 year period and consists of almost 600 professional who worked on this show.
- The Kaan show is an immersive experience into a wonderful world of Thai literature.
- Experience a live performance that matches any play.
- There are food stalls located on the premises when you need to snack.
Thong Nai Pan Noi beach
White sandy beaches and picturesque views of the surroundings makes Thong Nai Pan Noi beach the perfect spot to be on those hot summer days in Thailand. The beach is clean and has a friendly nature that is welcoming to visitors. The bars and restaurants on the beach are not expensive, however, you can opt to stay at a flashy resort that is also found at the beach.
- Enjoy pearly white sands while enjoying the ocean and waves.
- The beach is clean and the water is free of any reefs.
- There are multiple affordable bars and restaurants as well as high-end resorts.
The Skytrain is like a well-oiled machine getting you from A-B in style. The Skytrain has air conditioning and is very neat and tidy. If you need to explore the city then the Skytrain should be your mode of transport. The BTS Skytrain follow 2 main routes going from west to south and north to east – then meet at Siam station. You can expect a new train to arrive every 3-6 min; however, at peak times (07:00 – 09:00 and 16:00-19:00) the trains may be full. A map of the Skytrain route and most booked tours
- The most favorite stops on the BTS is Siam and Asok stations.
- The Skytrain is always on time, and you can expect a new train every 3-6 min.
- Nice air conditioning for those hot days.
- It is the best way to explore the city one stop at a time.
Freebird Paddle Co in Railay
If you love having fun in the sun or just an outdoor enthusiast then you have to try out Freebird Paddle Co. They are situated on the island of Railay and they have dedicated all their time to create fun experiences for tourist visiting the island. There are various activities that you can do namely night-time stand-up paddleboarding, Kayaking, private long-tail excursions and rent a board and go exploring on your own. They also offer lessons for stand-up paddleboarding and kayaking.
- Hire a long-tail boat and create your own island expedition mission.
- Bake in the sun while enjoying a nice cocktail.
- Learn how to paddle-board or kayak between 10:30
- Try some sup yoga while trying to maintain your balance on the board.
Krabi longtail boat tour
Exploring Thailand on a longtail boat is both rewarding and surprisingly calming. The 7.30 min cruise will take you to 4 different islands where you can go swimming in the crystal clear waters of the Andaman Sea or evens go snorkeling in the coral reef. The fun does not stop there – go explore Princess Cave where locals believe Princess Goddess resides and takes her afternoon swims. When you are famished of all the activities you can head towards Poda Island for a nice picnic on the warm sandy beach.
- Explore three different islands while you on the longtail boat.
- Go snorkeling in the coral reef.
- Have a quiet picnic on the beach on the island of Poda.
Chaophraya Princess Dinner Cruise Tour
People are raving about this special Princess Dinner cruise that everyone wants to get on-board of. The tour is only 2-hours long, but in that time you will be entertained by live music and a buffet selection fit for a queen. This night time cruise really brings out the most astonishing views of Thailand. You will get to see Wat Arun and the Grand Palace, all of this while seeing the sun come to life with a light show. Book your place on-board the Princess
- Live music performers are on-board the cruise ship.
- Enjoy a delicious buffet table filled with Thai and international cuisines.
- Marvel at all the sights along the river as the city puts on a light show just for you.
King Power Mahanakhon
Many things can be said about this building one thing is for sure it is one tallest building in East Asia. This is not the only reason why people flock to this elegant residential and commercial property. The building also has one of the largest glass trays at a height of 310 meters all the way up on the 78th floor. If that wasn’t all the building also houses the highest observation deck in Thailand at a staggering 314 meters from the ground level. Did I mention the SkyBar? It is the tallest dining area in Thailand. This is why King Power Mahanakhon is a must-see attraction in Thailand.
- Fine dining at the Skybar on the 76th floor of the King Power Mahanakhon.
- Explore the observation deck with a 360 view of the city.
- Take photos on the glass tray that is 30 meters above ground level.
Cruise on the Chao Phraya River
They say every great city has a great river and Thailand is no exception with its very own Chao Phraya River. The river has been around since the city was built and it offers accessibility to virtually anywhere in the Bangkok region. There are lots of boats and sightseeing cruises that you can explore. The river also runs through 2 of the major temples.
- Explore the city on one of the in-expensive boat trips.
- Get to see two ancient temples.
- Take a dinner boat ride around the river while enjoying live music.
Kanta Elephant Sanctuary
The largest mammal on land is the Elephant and typically access to these majestic creatures is not possible. At Kanta Elephant Sanctuary they want to change the habits of people and how they mistreat these amazing animals. When you visit this sanctuary you will be able to touch, feed and spend time with these Elephants. You can choose between a half-day visit in the morning or in the afternoon. While at the sanctuary you will learn more about their history and help preserve the ELEPHANT population for future generations.
- Spend time with the largest mammal on land.
- Feed and touch these large animals while they are in their natural habitat.
- Learn about elephant conservation and how to preserve their numbers for future generations.
Animals and the locals at Ao Thalane Bay
The Ao Thalane Bay is a picturesque island that captures the beauty of Thailand and its inhabitants. The Bay is full of diverse fauna and flora and has a lot of scarce wildlife that you would not normally get to see. The bay is perfect for kayaking as it is surrounded by many small islands.
- You get to see rare birds and monkeys on your excursions throughout the bay.
- There are elephant rides on offer should you choose such a package.
- Go kayaking around the bay as you view the many karst formations.
- Explore the bays diverse ecosystem while enjoying some quiet time away from the city.
Big Buddha Phuket
The Big Buddha Phuket is one of Thailands most revered landmarks on the island. The big Buddha stands tall at a whopping 45 meters and can be seen as far as Phuket Town and Karon Beach. On top of the hill, you will also be able to experience a 360 view of Phuket village.
- Get blessings from Buddhist Monks and there are also meditation areas.
- Enjoy a 360 view of Phuket Town and the surrounds.
- The Big Buddha stands tall at 45 meters in length.
A nice day at the beach can be spoilt if there are too many people occupying the limited space available. On Banana Beach, you will not have any of these hassles as this beach is secluded and tucked away so not many people know about it. The beach has crystal clear water with white sands making the isolated beach very alluring to tourist. On the beach, there are various masseuses in the shade next to the restaurant where you can stop for a snack after the massage.
Thailand-Burma Railway Tour
Thailand is rich in history and Burma Railway tour is a look back at the dark history of the Thailand Railway. You will get to visit the death railway by speed boat on a full day Kanchanaburi and River Kwai tour. On the tour, you will also get to see World War 2 sites all in one single day.
- Get to visit the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery and JEATH War Museum.
- Ride on a speed boat to the railway bridge.
- Learn about what happened on the death railway that was laid by the imprisoned workers.
Bioluminescent Clear Kayak - Night Tour
At night time all of the creatures that patrol the sea come to life. With a bioluminescent kayak, you will be able to see plankton, silverfish and other creatures of the deep. The kayak tour is very different at night because everything is quiet and the marine life is more likely to be visible.
- Explore the different marine life that comes out at night.
- Use the kayak as a looking glass with the bioluminescent light.
- Marvel at the sunset and kaleidoscope of colors that the end of the day brings.
Floating Markets Day Trip from Bangkok
If you looking to do some produce shopping with a difference you should try out the floating markets in Damoen Saduak. With a guide, you will learn about all the different exotic products on offer. On this guided tour you will get picked up at your hotel and travel via long-tail speed boat to the market and at the end of the day get dropped back off at the hotel.
- Get to take a speed boat to the market to cut down on time.
- Travel with a guide to learn about the exotic produce on offer.
- See a truly remarkable floating market buzzing with activity.
This stretch of road in Thailand is tailored made for adult entertainment. There are numerous clubs where you can dance all night long as well as a multitude of bars – most tourists prefer bar hopping as there are live music and great atmosphere. This part of the city should be experienced in the night time as there are more on offer. Don’t be afraid to explore the unexpected because Bangla Road offers many hidden wonders.
- Go club or bar hopping as the locals’ party the night away.
- Live music is on offer all around Bangla Road.
- Various eateries that serve the most delicious cuisines.
Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho)
Many tourists put this destination into their itinerary because the sites around the temple are truly amazing. The reclining Buddha weights over 5.5 tons and is made out of pure gold. Many people from all over the world venture to Thailand just to see this one of a kind statue; I mean who wouldn’t want to see a Buddha lying on its side.
- Get to view the golden Buddha statue that weighs over 5.5 tons.
- Meet the monks that reside around the temple and do some meditation.
- You will meet people from all over that came to admire the statue.
Explore Bangkok at night Market by Tuk-Tuk
One of the easiest ways to get around the city is via a tuk-tuk. This 3-wheel motorbike will take you around all the major attractions and stop at various eateries for you to grab a snack. The tour is easily accessible and affordable you will always get to go through the 34-hour flower market.
- Explore all the major attractions on a Tuk-Tuk.
- You will get to stop at various eateries while your guide explains the rich history.
- Go through the 24-hour flower market.
Get a Sak Yant Tattoo
Many people say getting a Sak Yank tattoo is a spiritual journey that will leave you in tears once you have done. Getting one of these tattoos is somewhat of a connection with the spirits or that’s what the monks tell you.
The ceremony of the Sak Yant tattoo is performed by a Buddhist Monk with a metal rod. They consider tattooing an art form and they hand-etched the tattoo on too your skin. Monks spend years trying o master the art of Sak Yant tattooing and it is far more to them than a simple tattoo.
- Get an authentic Thai Sak Yant Tattoo.
- The tattoo is hand-etched with a metal rod onto your skin by a Buddhist Monk.
- Sak YantTattooing is considered an art form by Buddhist and they spent years developing this skill.
Take a street food tour
Thailand is full of spicy and extraordinary dishes that are unique to this part of the world. There are various food tours that take you all around the region. Taking one of these tours is ideal if you don’t really know your way around Thailand.
There are countless food tours on offers like the Simple Sweets-Dessert tasting tour, happy veggies – vegetarian tour, Private Thai cooking class, Best East Midnight food tour by tuk-tuk and the list goes on.
- Get to eat some of the spicy and extraordinary dishes in Thailand.
- There are various tours that take you around Thailand to sample the food.
- Learn how to prepare Thai cuisine at the Private Thai Cooking Class.
Visit the White Temple in Chiang Rai
Beauty, elegance and true craftsmanship are what you can expect to see at the White Temple in Chiang Rai. The temple is officially known as Wat Rong Khun. The creator Ajarn Chalermchai Kositpipat made this epic artwork in 1997 with his own funds.
The artist does not take himself too seriously with artworks crammed with references to comic book heroes, science fiction movies and other modern themes. The White Temple is a great tourist attraction but should not be associated with other religious temples.
- Elegance, prestigious and beauty explains the craftsmanship that went into the creating of the white temple.
- The creator Ajarn Chalermchai Kositpipat paid to create the massive art piece himself.
- He does not take himself too seriously with works that reference comic book heroes, science fiction and modern themes.
Get a Thai massage at Fah Lanna Spa
When visiting Thailand it is crucial to get a Thai massage. What would be the point of not trying it seeing that you are in the capital of the Thai massage right? A Thai massage usually involves lying on the floor and getting a deep massage and stretching techniques that are native to Thailand.
The Fah Lanna Spa is an upper-class Thai massage parlor. The entrance to the parlor is beautifully decorated which gives you a sense of great professionalism awaiting you inside. They offer traditional Thai massage, hot oil massages, hot stone therapy, waxing, and various beauty treatments.
- Get a world-famous Thai massage while you in the capital of massages.
- The Fah Lanna Spa is an upper-class establishment with beautiful scenery.
- At the spa, you can get traditional Thai massages, hot oil massages, hot stone therapy, waxing, and various beauty treatments.
Watch the Chiang Mai Ladyboy Show
The Chiang Mai Ladyboy Show is a popular show and is considered to be the best in the city. It is a must-watch for any tourist visiting the city for the first time. The show is located in the Night Bazaar and features some of the prettiest and liveliest ladyboy’s in Chiang Mai.
The ladyboys dress up in outrageous costumes and they sing, dance and deliver a lively performance that has given them many accolades over the years. There is also an audience participation section where you get up on stage and they interact with you. You can catch the shows daily at 21:00 PM and the other one at 23:00 PM.
- Enjoy one of the most popular shows in Thailand for first-time visitors.
- The show encompasses dancing, singing and outrages costumes.
- There is a section where audience members are called to the stage to interact with the performers.
Party on Khao San road
If you are in the mood for a great night of party then you should check out the nightlife scene at Khao San. The Khao San Road comes alive at the night time with glittering neon signs flickering showing the way to bars, clubs, and buzzing activities on offer. On the street, you are welcomed with street-side music systems while masses soak the street with their alcohol beverages ready for a night of fun.
There are various choices on offers like the upscale Silk Bar and Cinnamon. If you are in a more relaxed mood you can hit the tranquil back-alley Hippie de Bar or enjoy a nice street-side cocktail.
- Immerse yourself in the fun nightlife scene on the Khao San Road.
- The Neon Signs flicker your way to the best bars and clubs on the San Road.
- Listen to the sidewalk music systems while the masses indulge in diverse beverages.
- Take a step back and enjoy a relaxing cocktail in the streets.
Try durian fruit
Many people have never tasted the durian fruit and it can mainly be found in Thailand. It has also another title that puts people off because it is acknowledged as the world’s smelliest fruit.
Once you overcome the smell the fruit is amazing and quite pleasing to the pallet. The fruit has a yellowish color with a prickly surface resembling that of pineapple. Because of the smelly nature of the fruit, it is banned in many hotels and places in Thailand.
- Taste the juicy and delicious fruit known as durian fruit.
- The durian fruit is the world’s smelliest fruit.
- The fruit can be served with a multitude of other dishes.
- Be aware that the fruit is banned in major hotels and places because of the smell.
Stay at an overwater bungalow
The style of building your bungalow close to the water is an old Thailand tradition enforced because of the steep rise of water. These areas are prone to Tsunami’s and they use this as a safety measure. In Thailand, you can experience these bungalows in 5 different places each offering a distinct experience.
The best thing about staying in these floating hotels is the price is very affordable compared to the rest of the world. Some of the places you can find these bungalows include Khao Sok Lake National Park, The River Kwai Floating Villas, Koh Phayam Overwater Bungalows, Koh Lanta Overwater Bungalows, And The Koh Samui Overwater Villas.
- Stay at one of the overwater bungalows that are a unique experience.
- The floating hotels are luxurious and all your comforts are taken care of.
- There are five places in Thailand where you can find these floating hotels namely, Khao Sok Lake National Park, The River Kwai Floating Villas, Koh Phayam Overwater Bungalows, Koh Lanta Overwater Bungalows, and the Koh Samui Overwater Villas.
Hike Koh Phi Phi viewpoint
If you are around Thailand and find yourself in the Koh Phi Phi region you should try hiking to the viewpoints. The hikes are the only way to get the marvelous photos of Koh Phi Phi. The beautiful island is made up of two large rock formations and these are connected by a large strip of land.
On the connecting piece of land, you will find great accommodation that can prepare you for your hike. Viewpoint one is the ‘Tsunami Evacuation Route’ and all three are stunning with viewpoint three taking you to an overview of the whole island.
- Take a relaxing morning or evening hike to the three viewpoints.
- The island is made up of two large rock formations and is connected through a large strip of land.
- There is accommodation offered in the strip of land.
- The views from the top of the viewpoints are amazing and viewpoint three is considered the best.
|Language||Thai (originated from Sanskrit, Old Khmer, and Pali)|
|International dialing code||+66|
|Electricity||In Thailand, the standard voltage is 220 V and the frequency is 50 Hz.|
|City population of Copenhagen||69,04 million|