We all like traveling and finding the perfect spot for that getaway. Here at Where2now, we do all the hard work in finding those ideal locations.
San Jose is a hub of activity and growing at a tremendous rate. Most importantly it is an ideal destination for any traveler seeking something different.
It is considered to be the Mecca of technological innovation. Some of the main tech companies have their headquarters situated here. These companies include Samsung, eBay, Adobe Systems, Acer and PayPal just to mention a few.
Besides the big companies, San Jose offers far more than people generally consider. Because of this people tend to overlook visiting here.
Let’s take a deeper look at what you can do in San Jose.
What kind of travel do you do
Show only Nicks's favorite tools:
Go and enjoy the Cirque du Soleil
Mesmerizing acrobatics, dazzling performers these are just a small glimpse of what Cirque du Soleil has in store for you. The most famous and largest theatrical show is based in Canada so you can expect fireworks when you visit a showing in their hometown.
In the show, performers from around the world will deliver awe-inspiring performances. The show has a central theme and a productive storyline that will keep you on the edge of your seats. I have been to three shows before; I definitely vouch for these great entertainers.
Watch a teaser video of Cirque du Soleil
- Get to watch breathtaking acrobatics.
- See performers from around the world performing magical feats.
- Get emerged in a magical storyline full of wonder and grandeur.
- The largest theatrical show in the world.
Get your feet moving across Downtown
The nightlife scene in Montreal is hip and happening. It is considered a world-class destination for international DJ and performers. There is always a party around every corner in the downtown area.
The legal age for drinking in Montreal is only 18 so that is an added bonus for the night discoverer. Some of the trendiest nightspots include Mayfair cocktail bar, FlyJin and Club Pelicano.
I suggest you do your own roaming and find that beat that plays to your heart.
- Listen to the best DJs from around the world.
- Montreal is considered the Paris of Canada.
- Enjoy relaxing venues with smooth vinyl collections.
- You will get the best of both, supper and night club combined as one.
Visit Basilique Notre-Dame
You do not have to be a religious person to appreciate the beautiful church known as Basilique Notre-Dame. It is one of the outstanding structures from the 17th century and has undergone various upgrades throughout the decades.
It was declared a minor Basilique by Pope John Paul in 1982. Today people from all around the world come to see the two towers Gothic revival exterior that was designed by famous Protestant Irish American, James O’Donnel.
- Examine the intricate detail of the Chapel of Notre-Dame.
- Marvel at the interior of the Basilique as if you are viewing ancient Paris architecture.
- Get a 20-minute tour of the Basilique by a friendly and helpful guide.
Thrill rides on La Ronde
Fun, fun and some more fun this is what you can expect from the second largest amusement park in Canada. It was originally built in 1967 as an entertainment complex.
The park also holds the yearly Montreal Fireworks Festival; it is the world’s largest firework festival. There are average 3-million spectators who attend this event, and 6, 000 fireworks get used in this event.
- Ride Le Monstre, who holds the world record for the highest double-tracked roller coaster.
- Enjoy all 40 rides that the park has on offer.
- Try the slingshot or the catapult for a thrill unlike any other.
Rock the spa day at Bota Bota
If you think waves and a spa day don’t go together think again, that is exactly what makes Bota Bota the ideal spa treatment location in Montreal.
The natural movements of the St. Lawrence River coupled with the healing elements of the spa this treatment plan makes you feel rejuvenated while enjoying your time on the boat.
- Enjoy the old Montreal backdrop as you enjoy your spa day.
- You get, massage therapy, body treatments, facial treatments, and meni & pedies of course.
- There is a restaurant on-board the boat so you can indulge your taste buds while you there.
Visit the Musée d'Art Contemporain
This exquisite Museum was established in 1964 and today it houses various contemporary arts. The museum has four rooms dedicated to exhibitions focusing on trends in the modern-day contemporary art space.
At the museum 7, 000 works can be found that were done by 1, 500 artists.
- You can view artworks from Quebec, Canada and from the International community.
- Musée d'Art Contemporain is the only museum in Canada that solely focuses on contemporary art.
- Situated in the center of the city you can immerse yourself at the grand architecture surrounding it.
Come to life at the Tam-Tams festival
Everyone likes a good festival and if it’s a free festival the more the merrier I’d say. The Tam-Tams festival as locals calls it can be found around George-Étienne Cartier Monument in Mount Royal Park. Drum players, dancers, and vendors flock to the Tam-Tams fest every Sunday.
- A large gathering of dancers, vendors and drum players.
- Role-playing on certain days of the month makes for interesting viewing.
- Various exhibitions are shown at the fest throughout the year.
Indulge the eyes at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
This fine art museum was established in 1860 by art collectors in Montreal. Since those days the museum has really made a name for itself, hosting about 43, 000 works from Antiquity to today.
The museum has it all from paintings, graphic art, photographs, sculptures, and decorative art all being showcased in four pavilions.
Make a reservation at the museum restaurant.
- It is the museum with the most visitors and memberships in Canada.
- Fine dining at the Beaux-Arts restaurant.
- Catch an international or independent documentary at the Cine du Musee.
Le Bateau-Mouche Sightseeing Cruise in Montreal
To travel in luxury while sightseeing is a magnificent experience onboard the Le Bateau-Mouche. The cruise ship offers music and a kaleidoscope of light shows and gourmet meals that depict the deliciousness of Montreal.
- Fine dining on-board the Le Bateau-Mouche.
- Explore the sights from a different angle and be in awe.
- Light shows will dazzle you on-board the cruise In Montreal.
The Botanical Gardens is the largest natural museum of science in Canada, it is also rated as one of the best Botanical Gardens in the world. The garden has a collection of over 22,000 plant species from all around the world.
- Also in the garden are an Insectarium and a Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium.
- There are also 10 exhibition greenhouses and 20 thematic gardens along 75 acres of space.
- My personal recommendation checks out the Rose Garden and the Chinese Garden.
Boutiques of the Mile End
The Mile End is an artistic 10 block section of Montreal where the most artist and high-end restaurants/boutiques can be found. This 10block stretch has some of the most sought after restaurants in Northern America.
There is also an extensive collection of local boutiques where the artistic flair can expand beyond what you would normally find in shops.
Book a Mile End culinary experience and get the best food in your belly.
- Visit Theatre Rialto for anything from comedy shows, circuses, and music shows.
- Explore the best eateries in Northern America.
- Have a quiet candlelit evening with your significant other at one of the intimate restaurants.
Montreal is known to have some of the longest and coldest winter months in Canada. If you plan on visiting in those winter months we have some news for you, there is a climate-controlled Underground City in Montreal that stretches 12km.
This Underground destination is connected by various tunnels. The tunnels will connect you to hotels, apartments, shops, and banks. There is also a bus terminal and 7 metro station to easily get around the Underground City.
Map of the Underground City in-case you get lost.
- Take the Old Montreal food and drink tour and learn about the Underground City.
- For chocolate lovers, you will have to visit Jeff de Bruges located in the Place Montreal trust area.
- Get your morning coffee fix at the Tunnel Espresso bar between Eaten center and Ville Marie.
Walking tour of old Montreal
Walking through the old city is both breathtaking and a glimpse back in time. With this guided tour you will get to discover the city and its history, architecture, and culture of the everyday citizens.
The tour comprises of two sections that take you to the old west or east side of Montreal.
- Get a personal guide that will tell you all the rich history of the city.
- The knowledgeable guide will take you through famous sites like Notre Dame Basilica, Champ de Mars and City Hall just to mention a few.
- You get to choose between three different tours to suit your timeframe.
Explore the Old Port
The Old Port in Montreal has many attractions that you need to see when visiting. The Port was established in 1632 and there are various private tours that take you around the Old Port. There are great restaurants and ferries to take you to small islands like Peak’s Island.
- Various shopping and restaurants on offer for you and your loved ones.
- Take a ferry to one of the many Islands along the Old Port.
- You can take a nice long walk on the bay while taking in the fresh smells of the harbor.
Visit the Montreal Casino
If glitz and glam are what you are after then you should head down the Montreal Casino. It is full of activities and a number one destination for party-goers. There is even a formula one race track that will have heart sitting in your throat.
The casino is open 24/7 so you can go and play some hands whenever you feel like it. The parkland around the casino is beautiful for a walk while you contemplate where to risk your money first.
- Enjoy live performances by various artists such as Tony Bennett and Gino Vannelli.
- Head straight into a poker tournament while you visit Montreal Casino.
- 5 Star restaurants and buffet tables for you too much.
- Catch a boxing match inside the casino.
Fun eateries in Chinatown
If you are interested in some fine eastern dining then you should head towards Chinatown. If you undertake this journey you will be pleasantly surprised at the ambiance of this small but intimate town.
The locals love it here because the food, fortune tellers and bars offer something different than the usual Montreal activities.
- Very small and ambient atmosphere.
- Fun activities like fortune tellers and trinket shops.
- Trendy bars and food that will appeal to your tastebuds.
Listen to Jazz
Since Montreal hosts the most famous Jazz festival it is understandable that you would want to find some local places to ease your ears. There are a variety of Jazz clubs for you to visit that offer food and drink and something for the soul.
- Live Jazz music at the selected spots namely, Diese Onze, Modavie and Upstairs Jazz Club.
- Get to see international acts perform live.
- Fine dining and wine while listening to the smooth sounds of the artist.
La Grande Roue de Montréal
There are many ways to experience the city and on this ferries wheel, you will get to see all the city has to offer. The ferries wheel is unlike the conventional once that you find at normal amusement parks. It has closed compartments with air-conditioned services. So whatever the weather you will enjoy this ferries wheel and the views from on-top is magnificent.
- Experience the city from on top of the ferries wheel.
- Enjoy the climate-controlled cars that keep out the elements.
- A truly unique way of viewing the city at night time from the top of the wheel.
This is a fun activity for the whole family situated at Olympic Park. The Bio-dome lets you experience four different ecosystems that are located in the Americas. The dome was originally created as an Olympic structure in 1976.
The Montreal Bio-dome makes up one of the four facilities that make the natural science museum the biggest in Canada.
- Go on a sensory experience through the rain forest.
- Visit the subpolar region and see penguins.
- Get to see multiple animals in their natural elements.
Summit and surroundings of Mount Royal
The lush greenery that surrounds Mount Royal makes it the perfect getaway for the adventure seeker. The park has around 5-million annual visitors each year. The 470-acres have the most glamorous views of the city.
Overall there are 3 peaks around Mount Royal that you can climb. The highest of these peaks rise to about 764 feet above sea level. However, one of these peaks belongs to Summit Park.
The best time to visit is in winter months when the park is filled with outdoor sport and activities for people of all ages.
- Try one of the three peaks with the highest reaching 764 feet above sea level.
- Enjoy fun activities that are catered for the whole family.
- There are various picnic spots along the 470-acres of the park.
Satosphère projection room
The Satosphere is a dome full of visual wonder; it is like a high-tech planetarium for adults. The dome has 8 powerful projectors along with 157 high-end speakers making it visually inspiring to the senses.
Some researchers and developers work on virtual reality applications below the sphere.
Monroe Ferguson has also displayed an animated film here that caught the interest of many viewers.
- Watch an animated film by Monroe Ferguson, Minotaur – the first film made for a full dome environment.
- Immerse yourself in visual and incredible sound at the Satosphere Projection Room.
- Fun parties and DJ’s use the Satosphere for mesmerizing experiences.
Enjoy the long stretch of the Lachine Canal
The Lachine Canal stretches 14.5 kilometers from the Old Port to Lake Saint Louis. There are a lot of activities to in and around the canal. Many people prefer to take a boat ride along the river. Some people prefer to stay next to the canal and soak up some sun while rollerblading or riding along the bike path.
- Explore the 14.5 kilometer stretch of the canal by boat.
- Soak up some along the Canal while enjoying a picnic.
- There is a bike path for the cycling enthusiast.
If you looking for a concert or some live music then M-Telus is the place you will find both. This space has a variety of concerts held there every year the most famous being the International Jazz Festival.
Generally, you will get a lot of rock groups performing at this art performance center. The facility can accommodate around 2300 people per function.
- It is a nice intimate venue to enjoy rock bands perform.
- There is a bar overlooking the concert hall.
- Big festivals are held at the M-Telus namely the International Jazz Festival.
General info San Jose
|Country||The United States of America|
|International dialing code||+1 408|
|Electricity||In the United States of America, the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. The standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz|
|City population of Copenhagen||1,035 million|